Thursday, May 28, 2009

VITAMIN D

Well, knock me over with a feather.... Went to the doctors for my yearly check up. It was time to draw blood work. He had mentioned that there had been information lately stating that the medical powers that be were recommending people to have a Vitamin D level drawn, this is because a lot of people were low in this essential vitamin.

I had mine drawn and much to my surprise it was very low. I do not sit in the sun because of the damaging effect on the skin, but I was not getting my share of Vitamin D which is manufactured by the skin with sun exposure. Read about it here: VITAMIN D FACTS FROM THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH. I have been reading and it aids in the absorption of calcium and aids in the bone health. Some people think it also is used by the muscles. If a person had muscle pain, fibromyalgia and arthritis it may be linked to lack of Vitamin D.

So, what I need to do. He is prescribing high dose Vitamin D for six weeks and then on a supplement for my lifetime. Maybe I should sit in the sun a bit....

No comments:

Post a Comment