Friday, December 12, 2008


The cardiac cath that is. We had to be there between 5:30 and 6 AM. He was very anxious and wanted to get it done and over. I was getting anxious too. At about 8:40 the cath lab called and we went down. His doctor arrived and came to say HI and then with a kiss (Chuck , not the doctor) I went to eat and have a cup of coffee. In an hours time it was over and he was back in the holding area.

THE NEWS IS GOOD. The area that the doctor thought was poor perfusion was a shadow of the diaphragm on the heart, so the read perfusion study was not accurate. The old stent was open and everything is well. Thank heavens, he had sedation but said he was awake and felt no pain and the doctor was talking to him thruout the procedure.

At the time of the last cath he had to laydown flat with a sandbag on his groin for 6 hours. This was to prevent bleeding, now they can insert a collagen plug and this will seal the puncture of the femoral artery and he only had to lie flat for 2 hours and then we left the hospital. It can be a problem for people who take blood thinners, which he does....I do not know what the selection criteria is for the plugs..

Now all the angst and anxiety is over we can rest well.


  1. I'm glad everything went well! That is great news!

  2. Wonderful news! So glad it's over and all is well! Blessings, Lisa

  3. Good news is the best thing in the world. So happy for you. Lucy

  4. very glad things went well. I am having surgery on Wed to no doubt add stents in my legs... scared to death after the past few weeks but this made me feel better thanks

  5. so glad the news was good! and it was good to go through the test so Chuck/you know the status of his stent and that things are well! amazing how much has improved with the procedure too! I remember years ago that patients were kept overnight after a cath and I do remember them having to hold still with the sandbag on their groin area for that period of time (I worked for cardiologists/cardiac surgeons)