Sunday, April 12, 2015

NEWEST IDEA


I was just thinking today that I have a plethora of small jam jars.  My collection comes from gifts of Jams and Preserves that friends and my sister give to me.  Since I eat jam on my English muffin every morning, or almost every morning it may be the way to go.

The thought occurred to me that perhaps I should make some of my own this summer.   The biggest expense would be the jars and a canning container.  I had a large pot but what did I do with it?  I should go to a flea market and see if I can find one there.  This is still in the thinking phase after that become the planning phase for by the execution of giving up phase.

I have just read a lot of pages of recipes and if I don’t find the pot perhaps freezer jams seems to be the way to go.   What amazed me is the amount of sugar that goes into the recipe, I will have to consult my sisters about that.  IS the sugar just needed for sweetness or is it necessary for the jam thickening process?  If I use pectin to thicken it can I decrease the amount of sugar?
A lot of technical question here…..I will think about this some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment