Sunday, September 22, 2019

STILL WAITING FOR FALL

In August I wrote about how I was hoping for cooler weather.   The reason is that I have asthma and the hot humid weather makes it difficult to breathe.   When the dew point is above 60 it becomes miserable.   I do not need a chart to tell when it gets high.  Enough of that.

Yesterday Chuck, Emily and I went to see The Music of Queen presented by the THE JOHNSTOWN SYMPHONY which is about a 1 1/2 drive on the PA Turnpike.   The weather was beautiful and about 13 miles from the exit the traffic slowed down to about 10 mph.

Thank goodness we had eaten at home instead of waiting for dinner at a restaurant.   The venue was in a converted steel mill and the gates opened at 6:30 PM, we got the venue at 7:00.   The only saving situation is we had a reservation for a Handicapped spot.   It was too far for my husband to walk without it.   Some old guy asked him how did he get that spot and husband replied with my handicapped sticker.   The old far called him out on it.  I decided if I ever need the placard and someone asks me the same question I will ask them what medical school they graduated from.

Now the bad part, there were about 1400 people and it was difficult to find a seat,   It was hot and the acoustics were very bad and the lead singer would talk but you could not understand.   At the halftime intermission we decided to leave and go home by then I did not care if I heard Bohemian Rhapsody.  I will not make the mistake of going into a extravaganza in a refurbished steel mill again.

The Symphony is actually very good and my daughter, who is a violist, played with them for a few years before she got her present job. It was a long drive and the pay just  covered the expenses of turnpike fees and gasoline.   It is a non profit but the music is superb.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your asthma. This hot summer has dragged on forever. Yesterday was still near 90 here in TN but the humidity dropped drastically and it was nice.
    I've never heard of a concert being performed in a refurbished steel mill. No wonder the acoustics were bad (whoever comes up with these brilliant ideas??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sponsor was the one who owned the former steel mill. I wouldn't advise it.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete